Pastoral Care

The achievement of a student’s potential at school consists of both academic success and the development of a well-rounded, confident and happy individual. As such, great emphasis is placed on high quality pastoral care at Rickmansworth School. The pastoral system is structured as follows. 

Form Group

On arrival at Rickmansworth School, each student is placed in a form group. This is a group of students who will remain together throughout their time at the School. The form group is key to providing a supportive group of peers and friends for every student.  Each form is associated to one of four houses which are named after local lakes Inns, Stockers, Bury and Springwell.

Form Tutor

Wherever possible, Form Tutors remain with their form group throughout their time at the School. Students will see their Form Tutor every morning enabling a close working relationship to be formed whilst providing support to ensure students reach academic and personal targets. The Form Tutor is the first point of contact for the student and parent/carer if they have any worries or issues to talk through.

Each week during form time students have dedicated time to develop their literacy skills through DEAR (Drop Everything And Read).  They also have dedicated time to respond to their subject’s teachers marking through DIRT (Dedicated Independent Response Time). This allows Form Tutors to support their students’ academic progress, whilst developing the students independent learning skills.

Directors of Learning

Each year group has a Director of Learning who is responsible for ensuring high standards of welfare, academic progress, behaviour, attendance and dress of students in their year group.  These pastoral leaders are supported by full time, non-teaching Deputy Heads of Key Stage ensuing that all student’s needs are met.

Directors of Learning

• Year 7 – Mr D Crane
  • Year 8-9 – Miss K Townshend
  • Deputy Head of Key Stage 3 – Miss A-M Sprenger
  • Year 10-11 – Mr S White
  • Deputy Head of Key Stage 4 – Miss Johnson
  • Head of Sixth Form – Mr C Eley
  • Deputy Head of Sixth Form – Miss J Plested

Assistant Headteacher

The role of the Assistant Headteacher is to provide strategic direction, along with the Directors of Learning for the students in their care and to ensure that there is consistency within and between Key Stages in order that students across the school may achieve well, be happy and make a positive contribution.

Assistant Headteachers:

•  Key Stage 3 – Mrs C Wilshaw
  • Key Stage 4 – Mr C Hambleton
  • Key Stage 5 – Mrs V Lane

External Support and Advice

A crucial part of the pastoral support at Rickmansworth is to establish and maintain strong links with external agencies who can provide specialist support and advice for students.  

Information, advice, guidance, work related learning, outdoor education and support for young people.   An extensive website with links to many other resources.

Specifically aimed at young people in Hertfordshire, giving a wide range of information and advice, including links to options guidance, jobs, training opportunities & work experience.

Kooth Ltd Logo

This is a free online service that offers emotional and mental health support for children and young people. You can have a "drop-in" chat with a counsellor or therapist or book a one-to-one session.

http://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.Mac4eeb53979b2d523e232b8ebf6cd26co0&w=216&h=136&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0
The Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (CEOPworks across the UK tackling child sex abuse and providing advice for parents, young people and children.

Image result for childline

To help get info and advice about a wide range of issues, talk to a counsellor online, send Childline an email or post on the message boards.

http://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.M927027af9a6a38ac3381ef3b391a0375o0&w=300&h=84&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

The NSPCC offer help, advice and support to parents, professionals and families.