Did you know?

91.7%

A*-C at GCSE

Food Technology

“Good food provision in schools has been shown to lead not only to healthier children, but to improved attainment.” (Henry Dimbleby and John Vincent, authors of The School Food Plan)

The food department have designed a curriculum with practical skills at its centre, building resilience in the students as they progress through the core competencies.  Students are invited to take ownership of their learning by attempting Michelin Star challenges set each week.  These are tasks designed to stretch and challenge pupils whilst building on their literacy skills.  All pupils are given the opportunity to act as ambassadors in the subject, building student leadership and responsibility. 

Key Stage 3

Students in key stage 3 are taught how to cook and apply the principles of nutrition and healthy eating. Instilling a love of cooking in pupils will also open a door to one of the great expressions of human creativity. Learning how to cook is a crucial life skill that enables pupils to feed themselves and others affordably and well, now and in later life. 

The aims of the curriculum are for students to:

• understand and apply the principles of nutrition and health
  • cook a repertoire of predominantly savoury dishes so that they are able to feed themselves and others a healthy and varied diet
  • become competent in a range of cooking techniques
  • understand the source, seasonality and characteristics of a broad range of ingredients

Key Stage 4

Students in key stage 4 may opt to study the new and exciting course of GCSE Food Preparation and Nutrition.  The main focus is practical cooking skills to ensure students develop a thorough understanding of nutrition, food provenance and the working characteristics of food materials. At its heart, this qualification focuses on nurturing students' practical cookery skills to give them a strong understanding of nutrition.

Topics covered include:

• Food, nutrition and health
  • Food science
  • Food safety
  • Food choice

Food provenance

Extra-curricular and Trips

Key Stage 3 Cooking Club

This club is designed to supplement practical skills taught in the curriculum.  Pupils should see notices in the department for a weekly list of recipes and ingredient lists.

Key Stage 3 Food Science Club

For those interested in science and food, the bronze CREST award provides an ideal opportunity to practise the skills of investigation.  Projects will be completed over a number of weeks and successful completion will result in a nationally recognised certificate.

The food department are working closely with the local community to provide opportunities for extended learning outside of the classroom.  This includes competitions and links with local businesses.

Department Assessment Feedback