"One of the fastest growing subjects at Key Stage 4 & 5"

Did you know?

86.7

2016: 86.7% A*-C at GCSE. 40%: A*-A

Religious Studies

The Religious Studies Department is centered on the students' acquisition of knowledge about the most influential of religious beliefs and practices; understanding and evaluating different philosophical approaches and reflecting on the impact of religious beliefs and values on culture and society. Creative and imaginative teaching and learning strategies are used to engage and stimulate all students across the RS department. The department promotes an enquiring, empathetic and critical awareness towards the study of religion. Students will be challenged with questions about beliefs, values, meaning, purpose and truth, enabling them to develop their own ideas about spiritual and moral issues. Students will also gain an appreciation of how religion, philosophy and ethics form the basis of our culture. They will develop analytical and critical thinking skills, the ability to work with abstract ideas leadership & research skills. All of these skills will help them prepare for further study and the cultivation of wider life aptitudes. 

Ofsted reports that Religious Studies makes a significant contribution to pupils’ academic and personal development. It also plays a key role in promoting social cohesion and the virtues of respect and empathy, which are important in our diverse society

Key Stage 3

At Key Stage 3, students study all the major world faiths in a course designed to promote enjoyment, empathy and critical awareness. The ability to reflect on one’s own faith and/or values is also developed.  Diverse and imaginative teaching and learning strategies that engage and stimulate all students are actively encouraged across the department; Philosophy for Children has been a recent focus.

Key Stage 4

At Key Stage 4, students follow the new AQA Religious Studies Specification A: Component 1- The study of religions: beliefs, teaching and practices in Year 10 & Component 2: Thematic Studies in Year 11. We are proud that the GCSE pass rate in 2016 is 86% A*-C.  

Key Stage 5

At Key Stage 5, students follow the OCR Religious Studies syllabus. Students learn about Ancient Greek & Judaeo-Christian influences on philosophy of religion; traditional arguments for the existence of God; Ethical theories: including Natural Law, Utilitarianism, Virtue Ethics, Kantian Ethics and applied ethics, including Business & Environmental Ethics. A Level candidates will also have the opportunity to study Developments in Religious Thought and understand the theological basis for some of the major world religions. As a whole the Philosophy and Ethics course is designed to make candidates think about life’s most important questions while providing a rigorous, academic knowledge and understanding of philosophy and ethics, using an analytical and enquiring approach.

Extra Curricular

The RS department provides trips at Key Stages 3-5 to places of religious importance and value; and welcomes visiting speakers to enrich student learning and engagement with the course topics.  We also host a Philosophy for Children lunch-time club where students can lead debates about items of current interest at their leisure.

Department Assessment Feedback