Modern Foreign Languages

What's the point in learning languages when everyone can speak English!

There is a great and increasing demand in the workplace for people who can speak languages other than English. 75% of the world's population do not speak English. Other European countries are aiming for skills in three languages. 60% + of British trade is with non-English speaking countries.

Languages mean business - being able to speak a language will make you really stand out. In an ever shrinking world, learning a language is a skill which gets you ahead and is valued by employers

We are a department of 6 staff and have a set of rooms dedicated to language teaching; each containing an interactive whiteboard. The school’s 60th anniversary fundraising project was a state of the art digital language laboratory which has been active from September 2014.

Essential for entry to some university courses and a facilitating subject for the Russell Group universities, a Modern Foreign Language remains a core subject for most students at the school.

Key Stage 3

Students are placed in a teaching group at the School. Their teaching group determines which language they study. Four out of seven classes start with French as their first Modern Foreign Language. We follow the Expo course.

The remaining three classes start with German as their first Modern Foreign Language.  The Echo course is followed.  We aim to develop the ability to use the language effectively for purposes of practical communication as well as to offer insights into the culture and civilisation of the countries where the language is spoken.

In year 8 students will pick up their second language – German or French respectively. They will have 4 lessons of their first language and 2 of their second. This will continue into year 9.

Key Stage 4

French and German (GCSE) Examination Board: AQA

The subject is compulsory for the majority of the cohort.

The content of the examination is defined in terms of five Areas of Experience.

• Home and local area
  • Health and sport
  • Leisure and entertainment
  • Travel and the wider world
  • Education and work

Listening and reading are examined whilst speaking and writing are assessed throughout the two year course via controlled assessments.

Additionally we aim to encourage positive attitudes to foreign language learning as well as to speakers of foreign languages. Students build on their awareness of the nature of language and language learning which starts in Key Stage 3.

Key Stage 5

French and German (Advanced Level) -Examination Board: OCR

Students are able to study French and German at Advanced level. The topics covered are:

• Aspects of daily life
  • Leisure and Entertainment
  • Communication and Media
  • Education and Training
  • Society
  • The Environment
  •  Science and Technology
  • Culture

We follow the Élan and Zeitgeist courses.  Students sit two examinations at the end of the course. Speaking and Listening, Reading, Writing

Extra-Curricular & trips

Year 7 – Linguatrivia and The MFL Factor

Year 8 trips to Amiens and Berlin

Study trips to France and Germany for year 10 students

Links with schools in Spandau, Mainz and Versailles

Study support for GCSE and A level students

Language Leaders Award

BALFA – British Airways Language Flag Award

Work experience in France/Germany in year 12 and/or 13.

Department Assessment Feedback