Modern Foreign Languages

What's the point in learning languages when everyone can speak English!

There is a great and increasing demand in the workplace for people who can speak languages other than English. 75% of the world's population do not speak English. Other European countries are aiming for skills in three languages. 60% + of British trade is with non-English speaking countries.

Languages mean business - being able to speak a language will make you really stand out. In an ever shrinking world, learning a language is a skill which gets you ahead and is valued by employers

We are a department of 6 staff and have a set of rooms dedicated to language teaching; each containing an interactive whiteboard. The school’s 60th anniversary fundraising project was a state of the art digital language laboratory which has been active from September 2014.

Essential for entry to some university courses and a facilitating subject for the Russell Group universities, a Modern Foreign Language remains a core subject for most students at the school.

Key Stage 3

From September 2017 year 7 students study both French and German. They have 3 lessons of French and 3 lessons of German per fortnight. They decide which language they wish to continue with at the end of year 7.

We currently follow the Expo (French) and Echo (German) courses. We aim to develop the ability to use the language effectively for purposes of practical communication as well as to offer insights into the culture and civilisation of the countries where the language is spoken.

Key Stage 4

French and German – GCSE (Exam board – AQA)

At Key Stage 4 we operate a Pathways system with the majority of the cohort studying a language as part of their GCSE curriculum.

The content of the examination is defined in terms of three themes:

• Theme 1: Identity and culture
  • Theme 2: Local, national, international and global areas of interest
  • Theme 3: Current and future study and employment

The four skills of listening, reading, writing and speaking are examined by examination at the end of the course.

Additionally we aim to encourage positive attitudes to foreign language learning as well as to speakers of foreign languages. Students build on their awareness of the nature of language and language learning which starts in Key Stage 3.

Key Stage 5

French and German – Advanced level (Exam board – Edexcel (French) and AQA (German))

Core content:
Social issues and trends
Political and artistic culture
Grammar
A literary work and a film

We follow the Hodder Education Dynamic learning course. Students sit 3 papers at the end of the course: Speaking; Listening, reading and writing and Writing.

Extra-Curricular & trips

Year 7 – Spelling Bee and The MFL Factor
Year 8 trips to Amiens and Berlin
Study trips to France and Germany for year 10 students
Links with schools in Spandau
Study support for GCSE and A level students
Language Leaders Award
Work experience in France/Germany in year 12 and/or 13.

Department Assessment Feedback