English

‘To challenge students to think creatively, read creatively and write creatively; to enable students to understand and communicate with their world; to aspire to inspire others.’

Results for 2017-18:
English Literature GCSE 79% 9-5, (9% of our grades were a level 9)
English Language GCSE 59% 9-5
English Literature A Level 44% A*-B
English Language and Literature A Level 46% A*-B
Creative Writing A Level 64% A*-B (final year that this A Level was offered)

The English and Film Faculty is set in the new Sixth Form Block. It has 10 modern, well-equipped rooms, a Film Suite and cinema area, as well as a dedicated team of specialists, providing a creative and purposeful environment for teaching and learning. The variety and academic rigour of work at KS3 enables students to gain confidence and relevant skill sets. GCSE results are consistently above national averages; A Level results are consistently excellent. 

Key Stage 3

We have a new and exciting KS3 curriculum at Rickmansworth School and study a range of English Literature texts from Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet through to Hunger Games and Witch Child. Students are challenged to think critically and make connections and inferences. Furthermore, students have the opportunity to develop their creative writing. We offer various opportunities to write short stories and non-fiction pieces including: Monster Zoo, Gothic writing and Media Campaigns.

Key Stage 4

Pupils in KS4 are working towards the two new linear GCSE assessments in English Language and English Literature. The AQA GCSE Literature specification we follow includes the study of the classic texts: Blood Brothers, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Macbeth and a dedicated poetry anthology. The Eduqas GCSE English Language specification we follow includes studies in 19 and 21st Century Non-Fiction, and 20th Century Fiction; there are also Fiction and Non-Fiction writing tasks.

Key Stage 5

At KS5, the English Department provides two main subject choices. For English Literature, we follow the OCR specification, where we explore Hamlet, A Merchant’s Tale, A Doll’s House and a range of Dystopias including 1984 and A Handmaid’s Tale. For English Language and Literature, we also follow the OCR Specification (EMC), focussing on a range of notable Non-Fiction Writing, and the study of key texts: The Great Gatsby and A Streetcar Named Desire..

Extra-Curricular & Trips

Depending on the set texts and the availability of tickets, students will have a number of opportunities to attend department trips to theatre performances and lecture days. In school, students are invited to take part in writing competitions, public speaking and debates. There is a creative writing, debating and book club for KS3 students and an on-going competition for students to read 16 classics by the time they’re sixteen

Department Assessment Feedback

Key Stage Reading Lists