Learning Resource Centre
“When in doubt, go to the library.”
J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Our newly refurbished Learning Resources Centre (LRC) opened in November 2019. We are now centrally located on the ground floor, and we seek to provide a welcoming atmosphere that is accessible to all members of the school community.
Our aims are to promote the benefits of reading for pleasure, and to support study, research and enquiry to enable everyone to achieve their goals and become lifelong learners. We do this by providing a wide range of up-to-date resources, both in print and online via Google Classroom.
The LRC is open every day, from 07:45 to 17:00 Monday to Thursday, and 07:45 to 16:30 on Friday.
All students can visit the LRC before school, at break and lunchtime, and after school for Homework Club (Monday to Thursday). Sixth form students can study in the LRC during their study periods, and teachers can arrange to bring their classes to the LRC for research lessons. All Year 7 and Year 8 students have a regular time during their English lessons to come to the LRC for reading and book-related activities.
- The LRC has a range of fiction and non-fiction books designed to support the curriculum and allow students to develop their wider interests.
- We subscribe to a number of newspapers, magazines and journals, as well as a range of online databases and resources.
- The LRC has computer workstations, with colour printing, scanning and photocopying facilities as well as WiFi and charging points for BYOD.
- We also have a small stationery shop selling a range of essential items such as pens and pencils.
The Library Catalogue is available online, Apple and via the Library Link app available for Android at:
Students have a username and password to access their library account through Library Link they can:
- Search the catalogue for available resources
- View items that they have borrowed, see when they are due back, and renew them
- Place a reservation for items that are out on loan to another borrower
- Browse the Library’s reading lists
- View the Library’s latest resources
The LRC offers a number of volunteering opportunities through the Duke of Edinburgh Award and our Student Library Assistant programme. For more details please speak to the Librarian.